If you are a father, you are a memory maker. And that’s what dating your daughter will do: make memories. These are the times she will remember with fondness when she’s older.
Long before your daughter begins to date, dad’s should set the bar very high and show her how a lady should be treated. With courtesy, gentleness, whimsy, and your undivided attention (put away the phone). This is one of the reasons why father-daughter dates are critically important.
Another reason is this: she’s going to grow up fast. And you will never get this time back. So we, dads, must make the most of the time we have and cherish her.
I suggest you begin taking your daughter on dates early on. Taking my little girl out as a baby was one of the best decisions I ever made. Today, as a pre-teen, she expects that I will take her out regularly because that’s what we’ve always done. I don’t plan to ever stop.
Below is a list of 100 ideas for daddy-daughter dates. Of course, activities will vary depending on your daughter’s age and interests, as well as your climate and budget. As time goes on, chances are you will take some of these ideas, make them your own, and build traditions out of them. I hope you do.
Enjoy every moment with your daughters, gentlemen. The years fly by fast.
Now, on with the list.
1) Two words: Ice cream
2) Take her to a paint-your-own pottery shop.
3) Watch a sunrise or a sunset from a favorite spot.
4) Stay at home and build a fort with blankets.
5) Go for a walk along a river or lake.
6) Volunteer together (visit a nursing home, serve at a homeless shelter, pick up trash, etc.)
7) Put together an outrageous outfit at a thrift store.
8) Make a silly movie together.
9) Visit a pet store.
10) Lie down on grass and make out shapes in the clouds.
11) Go to a concert that she would enjoy.
12) Take her shopping at her favorite store.
13) Go on a simple geocache.
14) Go for a drive, crank up the music she likes, and sing it loud. We call it a carty (car-party).
15) Have some appetizers at her favorite restaurant.
16) Take a hike.
17) Get all dressed up and go out to a fancy dinner.
18) Water balloon fight.
19) Tour a local historical spot.
20) Go disc golfing.
21) Make up a story together, have her draw illustrations for it, and have it printed up.
22) Take her swimming.
23) Go to a library or book store and read together.
24) Go horseback riding.
25) Go dancing somewhere.
26) Double date with another father and daughter she’s friends with.
27) Take her fishing.
28) Make a time capsule and bury it someplace only you know.
29) Attend a sporting event.
30) Pick a bouquet of flowers.
31) Spend an afternoon exploring downtown.
32) Have a chat at a coffee shop.
33) Have a picnic in the park.
34) Shop for something special for Mom.
35) Get some old clothes on and wash your vehicle together.
36) Go bowling.
37) Visit a public flower garden and take in each one.
38) Go hunting for cool and unique rocks.
39) Play on the playground at a park.
40) Play some interactive video games such as Wii sports.
41) Go to a movie.
42) Build a bird house together.
43) Go for a bike ride.
44) Lay down and gaze at the stars.
45) Visit a toy store and see who can find the weirdest toy.
46) Excuse her from school and take her out for lunch.
47) Spend two hours in her room playing with her toys.
48) Feed birds.
49) Send the rest of the family out and snuggle up at home and watch a show of her choosing.
50) If you need new clothing, take her with you to help pick it out.
51) Go miniature golfing.
52) Watch an animal race.
53) Go to a magic show.
54) Try some international cuisine.
55) Take her ice skating.
56) Visit a zoo or petting zoo.
57) Go on a paddle boat, canoe, or kayak.
58) Take her to see a women’s college or high school athletic team play. (Mine prefers women’s volleyball)
59) Take her to a carnival.
60) Make “Just Because” cards for friends and family.
61) Water park.
62) Take her out to get a manicure and pedicure (do it with her).
63) Find the best place for pie in your town and go for a slice together.
64) Play tourist for a day.
65) Skips rocks along a lake.
66) Go to an arcade and win as many tickets as you can for her.
67) Plan and make a meal together.
68) If you can, take your daughter to your workplace.
69) Take your dogs for a walk around the neighborhood.
70) Color pictures together at a café .
71) Fly a kite.
72) Build a sandcastle on a beach.
73) Buy a toy championship belt and have regular wrestling matches for it.
74) Hand out cold drinks at the park on a summer day.
75) Go sledding.
76) Make your own t-shirts.
77) Go rollerskating at a roller rink.
78) Climb a tree.
79) Go tubing at a local ski resort.
80) Check out a local festival (Renaissance, Irish, Jazz, etc.)
81) Rent a limousine and pick her up from school.
83) Decorate a cake together.
84) Perform a science experiment together.
85) People watch at the mall.
86) Attend an outdoor concert.
87) Paint a landscape together using a couple of canvases and paints.
88) Sign-up to walk or run for a cause.
89) Build a snowman, snow fort, and have a snowball fight.
90) Visit a local museum.
91) Rake up leaves into a huge pile and then jump in them.
92) Play a card or board game.
93) Take a class together.
94) Go to a play at a local theater.
95) Check out a western dinner and show. Dress up for it too.
96) Take her out to breakfast before school.
97) Roast marshmallows in the backyard and make up a story with her.
98) Play catch.
99) Go for a photowalk. Give her a camera and tell her to look for things no one else would see, and capture it with a picture.
100) When all else fails, go back to ice cream.
What other ideas would you add?
105 Things Every Gentleman Should Know
Subscribe to GoodSirs and get your FREE copy of the ebook, “105 Things Every Gentleman Should Know.” It’s chock-full of common sense advice to help you be a better man.
Enter your email address and a confirmation email will be sent to you. Once you confirm, you will receive an email to the download link for this guide in pdf format. That’s it.